Sunday, September 16, 2012

Can Food Cause an Emotional Reaction?


My assumption is that the response most people would give is, no. I mean its only food right? I wouldn't say that food can cause the same type of emotional reaction that a painting or seeing a missed loved one might, but I will say that food can cause an emotional reaction. I have personally seen food bring out emotions. It was a simple BLT sandwich, but it brought out the most complex emotions. He had never had a BLT before, he grew up on microwaveable dinners and fast food. That first bite of BLT; with fresh lettuce, garden fresh tomatoes, and warm sizzling bacon, was very overwhelming for him. His senses were experiencing things they had never experienced before. He set down the sandwich after that bite and started to cry. It was the best thing he had ever eaten. So in my opinion, food can cause an emotional reaction, if it creates a new all around experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment